RED HAT consulting
Focus on organisational and process changes in an organisation, rather than pure technology driven projects. Focus areas would include:
- organisation and cultural changes (for DevOps, open source adoption)
- design and development frameworks (Agile, SEMAT Essence etc)
- best practice for architecture and design
Red Hat has unique experience and knowledge about the process of developing open source software and also how organisations need to develop to support them. Increasingly Red Hat is being asked to guide and consult on how to do things rather than what to use.
- Open Source : only Red Hat can help organisations move from pure consumption to collaboration and creation of open source. More customers are looking to do this as they mature.
- Digitally Native : tradition SI's and software vendors don't have the open organisation and understanding of designing and building open source software
- Adaptive and Innovative : How we work is as important as what we produce and is something of interest to customers (as with Innovation Lab)
- Red Hat DNA. To have a team to tackle organisation and process change in an organisation, based on 'the Red Hat way'
- Strategic. to run strategic projects at key accounts
- Above Emerging Tech. To support initiatives around DevOps and Open Source Enablement, that potentially drive large scale product adoption
- New Consulting Partners. Build partnerships in this area to work with customers
- Revenue. As with other Practices, billable work to sustain the team.
- DevOps : development work to help design and build an organisation for DevOps. Based on previous work with CTO Office structure, Communities of Practice etc
- Open Source : governance and enablement for maturing organisations moving to collaborate and consume
- SEMAT Essence: work with customers on using using SEMAT on open source projects and build practices. Proven framework to help organisations understand and develop process above Agile and tools to build and operate software.
- Forsakringskassan : 2014-current. DevOps assessment and design requirements for OpenPlatform. Move to an open source approach organisation. 'Refugee' project being developed on these lines.
Belastingdienst : 2015-current. Review of Open Source policy and future use with the organisation
- Santander : 2013- current. Open Source policy and best practice, following on from initial Discovery Session and alongside large number of significant projects
Met Office : 2016 : DevOps transformation including organisational and process changes, as well as PaaS architecture
- New, small practice alongside Cloud and Applications Practice
- initially 5 dedicated Architects (including a billable Team Lead)
- 40-50% billable target
- Focus for FY17 on developing and delivering Transformation Projects
- Open Source Enablement
- DevOps organisation, process and culture
- Related technical engagements (CII / PaaS)
- Initially 5 dedicated Architects (including a billable Team Lead)
- 40-50% billable target
- Focus for FY17
- Assign Team Lead and 2 Architects
- 2 new hires, with relevant experience (with Open Source and DevOps)
- Open Source Enablement CoP restart (underway)
- PR and launch, look for GoLive / Reference (poss from FK)
- Internal statement of capability, with references from FK, Belastingdienst etc
Partnerships, initially with IJI, with PR
- open sourcing / rewrite of Practice Workbench
Promotion with RSMs and Country Managers, alongside Cloud and Application Practices
- Targeting UK Pub Sector
By Malcolm Herbert